Now Reading
LAM Airlines
1

LAM Airlines

by Giuseppe TovarJanuary 27, 2013

LAM Airlines of Mozambique is the national airline of Mozambique in Maputo. Carries out regular flights in southern Africa and to Lisbon, Portugal. Its main base of operations is the Maputo International Airport.

The airline was founded in August 1936 as DETA of air transport, as a division of the department of railways, ports and Aviation of the Portuguese colonial government of Mozambique. Began to operate on December 22, 1937. At the beginning of 1980, through the decree of 8/80 November 19 1980, DETA was restructured and renamed.

In 1998 the airline became a limited company, adopting the name of LAM Mozambique Airlines not by Decree. 69/98 of December 23 1998.

The state owns 80% of the shares of the airline and employees own the remaining 20 %.  It has 795 employees (as of March 2007).  It owns the airline Mozambique Express.

The directive is composed of the director, engineer Jose Viegas, Captain João Abreu, Director of operations of the airline, Dr. Jeremiah Tchamo, financial director of the airline, Mr. Armindo Matos, representative of the state of Mozambique and the Dr Afonso de Sande director of Human Resources.

The long-range flights were operated at first by aircraft 707 or DC-8, then with a DC-10 rented from UTA French Airlines also using an IL-62M of the government when there was a greater demand. In the early 90s were times of the greater number of flights with the DC-10 flying to Lisbon (sometimes via Madrid) as well as a weekly flights from Maputo to Berlin passing through Paris-CDG and Copenhagen, mainly to transfer construction workers. For many years, the Lisbon flights were carried out by TACV to Sal Island before returning to Maputo. The conclusion of the rental of the DC-10, flights to Lisbon were made with a 747SP of South African Airways before a couple of 767-200 were acquired. However, the flights of the 767 had a very short life when the management decided to focus on regional routes and therefore these aircraft were passed many hours rented to SAA.

Like all airlines with an AOC issued in Mozambique, the carrier is prohibited from operating into the European Union. The ban dates back to April 2011. At that time, the company claimed the Mozambican Civil Aviation Institute was responsible for the actions taken by the European Commission against all Mozambican transporters, and disputed that it was a company with an excellent safety record. In November 2011, being ahead of the constitution of a new autonomous division aimed at operating intercontinental routes. As of June 2013, Lisbon was served with Airbus A340 aircraft.

You can book flights on the airline from Johannesburg to a variety of destinations in Mozambique, including; Beira, Inhambane, Maputo Nampula, Pemba, Quelimane, Tete Matunda and Vilanculos. The airline’s flights from Johannesburg takes approximately 1 hour.

The airline also offers direct flights from Cape Town to Maputo in collaboration with SA Express. With continuous flights from Cape Town to Maputo are available daily from Cape Town International Airport and takes approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes.

 

 

What's your reaction?
Love it!
0%
Does not excite me
0%
I would recommend it
0%
Great value for money
0%
About The Author
Giuseppe Tovar
1 Comments
  • anatovar
    December 13, 2013 at 2:25 am

    They used the Embraer 190 which is very comfortable and spacious aircraft. Perfectly comfortable flight with friendly crew who offered snacks and drinks and served them in a polite manner. The snacks and drinks were offered on my way back also. Wine and beer available if you ask for either. The aircraft was not the newest but operated just fine. Both my flights were punctual. Tickets a slightly priced for the distance but probably not a lot different to their competitors on the same routes. I felt safe on both flights so I do recommend LAM.

Leave a Response